In 1827 the French commander Dumont d’Urville brought the Austrolabe through the passage between Ogea and Vatoa, and sailed on the deep water of the Koro Sea until he was abreast of Laucala and Taveuni.
Anchored off Nukulau Island, at the mouth of the Rewa: Here, like Tasman and Wilson before him, he found the seas ahead full of reefs; he turned back, and continued on a southerly course until he sighted Totoya and Matuku. thence he bore west to the south-eastern corner of Viti Levu, where he anchored off Nukulau Island, at the mouth of the Rewa River. After taking on a supply of fresh water he sailed south, and nearly ran his ship on the great reef that envelopes the northern extension of the Kadau group; he did not see the breakers until he was almost upon them, though the reef had already been seen and recorded by Bligh.
He named the reef Astrolabe, after his ship, followed it along the south coast of Kadavu, and rounding Mount Washington, steered north-west on the course followed by the Ann and Hope. Passing Vatulele, he sighted the south-western corner of Viti Levu; then, with Malolo in view, he came upon reefs, drew off into clear water, and left the Group. In 1830, d’Urville published the information gained on this voyage.