Francis H. Dufty arrived in Levuka, Fiji in June 1871. His brother, Alfred W. B. Dufty, arrived to join him from Sydney on 29th December 1871. They opened a photographic and jewellery business next to the ‘Fiji Times’ office in Levuka. Alfred Dufty moved to Suva in 1883 and Francis followed in 1886. Alfred eventually left Fiji for Sydney in June 1887. Francis returned to Melbourne in 1892.
Sources: ‘Fiji handbook 1879’
‘Cyclopaedia of Fiji (1907), Sydney, N.S.W.: Cyclopaedia Co. of Fiji.
Filed under: 1871 |