Thompson, Edward Henry (1851-1928), entomologist and Anglican clergyman, was born on 16 May 1851 at Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England, son of Edward Pett Thompson, merchant, and his wife Elizabeth, née Man. Privately educated, he arrived in Australia in 1870 and for five years served as a stipendiary licensed reader in the Anglican dioceses of Melbourne and Ballarat. Having been invited to Tasmania in 1875 by Bishop Charles Bromby
, Thompson was made deacon and sent to Fiji as locum tenens for the mission at Levuka. When he returned to Tasmania in 1876, he was appointed to Port Cygnet as curate of D’Entrecasteaux. Ordained a priest in 1878, he became rector of the Huon district and made his base at Franklin, a place famous for its orchards. That year, on 27 November, he married Lucy Harrietta Grove at Long Bay.
Journal of the Council of Agriculture, 1892-96; Tasmanian Mail, 23 Apr 1904; Mercury (Hobart), 7 Jan 1928.
Author: Peter B. McQuillan, Trevor D. Semmens
Print Publication Details: Peter B. McQuillan, Trevor D. Semmens, ‘Thompson, Edward Henry (1851 – 1928)’, Australian Dictionary of Biography, Volume 12, Melbourne University Press, 1990, p. 209.
Filed under: 1875, Anglican, Edward Henry, Missionaries, Thompson |