This photo was purchased Oct 1912, and part of a photo album made by the crw of the Pelorus. It was a Transfer from Mitchell Library Printed Books collection Q980/C, May 2005. Call no. PXA 1056. Copies can be ordered: Digital order no. a1251001 – a1251030
The are held in the PICMAN database, titled “Photographs [of H.M.S. Pelorus and crew members, including portraits and views …Photographs [of H.M.S. Pelorus and crew members, including portraits and views taken in Fiji, New Hebrides, New Zealand and Norfolk Island, ca. 1860-1861] / C.B.C.
Date of Work: undated [ca. 1860-1861] Ask for Original : PXA 1056
Physical Description: Albums – 1 album (30 albumen photoprints) – 24 x 33 cm.
1. H.M.S. Pelorus Farm Cove Sydney / H.I.M.S. Cleopatria, also Miranda.
2. “Conference, Fijian and Tonguese chiefs on bd. Pelorus, at Mathuata, Vana Leon, Fiji. (Consul Pritchard seated at right)’Conference, Fijian and Tonguese chiefs on bd. Pelorus, at Mathuata, Vana Leon, Fiji. (Consul Pritchard seated at right
3. Group of Natives, Mathuata.
4. Ovalau. Levuka. Fiji.
5. Ovalau. Levuka. Tui’s House on the point. (L to R: Madden, Biddlecombe, Anderson, Mr Calvett, Irving)
6. Tui Levuka’s house at Levuka. Ovalau. Fiji.
7. Tui Levuka, wife and attendants. Ovalau. Fiji.
8. Thakombau (Vunevalau or Tui Viti) King of Fijis, and son and heir.
9. Maafu (a distinguished Tonguese Chief). Wife and Child.
10. Group of Livonians (Hill tribe) Ovalau. Fiji.
11. Two Sisters (Tonguese, a Fijian, and a half cast girl, taken at Ovalau, Fiji.
12. Tui Mathuata. Son of Ritora Prince of Mathuata. Vana Leon. Fiji.
13. Women of Mathuata, Fiji